Thursday, January 19, 2006

i killed my computer

I spilled a sugary drink on its keyboard yesterday.

Gah. It's been a tumultuous 2+ years but I feel very guilty about ending it this way.

I may send it to Sony for reviving, but it may be safest if I don't use the computer for work any more.

About once a year we would have a big blowout, and I just can't take the drama anymore. This time it was clearly my fault.

Last year it was the power adapter that came between us. (Thank you Sony support for being completely helpless to identify the problem).

The year before it was the new memory chip, appearing about 5 months into the relationship.

We'll see where we go from here. I do need to rescue some files in the next week, whatever happens.

ps. I wish Oracle would stop messing with my Java settings. It's very upsetting.

update: 2006.02.13 these wonderful people at work actually managed to revive my computer! The memory was shorted but everything else seems to be working fine. So with some new memory it'll be as good as new.

No comments: