Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Johnnys Jr.

My punctuation could be unofficial, but Johnnys Jr. is a part of modern-day Japanese pop culture. The largest talent agency for boy bands, they churn the groups out like you wouldn't believe. They must also be infamous for their relentless pursuit of the most shockingly ugly costumes being created today. I was looking for photographic evidence but could only find this one on short notice. They all dress like this. All of them.

In the meantime, I will list the most visible examples of this ongoing crime against good taste:

Kinki Kids: you might think that the name of this duo is itself a crime, but there is actually a region in Japan called 近畿(きんき), of which Kinki is a perfectly valid romanization. No, their crime lies in their clothing, their hair, and their dancing (in that order). To get an idea of the hair, you can look here. Imagine the black hair with medium curls and one side of the hair shaved. He looks like a grandmother now.

SMAP: I really don't understand why this group of 5 guys continues to sing, but whatever. I don't listen to them. What really disturbs me is the fact that 5 guys in their mid to late 20s actually chooses to wear the atrocious costumes (for musical performances) that they do. Since SMAP is pretty much the most popular entertainment group in Japan (and has been for many years now), it is inconceivable that they cannot pick their own clothing, so I can only conclude that they cannot tell that it's ugly.

W-inds: The "W" in the name of this trio may be lowercase, but I don't care enough to check. As usual, their clothing and their dancing are unacceptable.

Tackey and Tsubasa: Another unfortunate name. Same issues. I've never heard them sing, but the photos speak for themselves. (Search for "human mirrorballs")

Kansai Johnny 8: As usual, bad clothing, bad dancing, and mediocre singing.

I'm sure there are many more offenders, but I can't keep track of them all.

Clearly it's all Johnny's fault.

ps. I have nothing against the above groups or their fans. As entertainers, they're pretty good. I just find the clothing unspeakable.

No comments: